John G. Snow
- Business and Intellectual Property Litigation
John Snow is a well-rounded trial lawyer who has litigated a wide range of entertainment, intellectual property, and complex business cases for both plaintiffs and defendants.
With 29 trials to verdict/decision, Mr. Snow has proven skills in the courtroom, but he prides himself on using strong legal writing to get clients results much earlier in litigation-sometimes before a case is filed.
While he handles cases in a variety of industries, Mr. Snow focuses much of his practice on entertainment, where he enjoys helping artists and content creators through all types of pre-litigation and litigation disputes. With a deep understanding of the business and all the legal issues that can arise, Mr. Snow has counseled and advised musicians, writers, managers, producers, promoters, agents, athletes, public figures, and media and entertainment companies on most aspects of their work.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Snow was a criminal prosecutor and civil enforcement lawyer litigating public impact cases. Before that, he was a lawyer at Hueston Hennigan LLP and Irell & Manella LLP, where he litigated complex business cases. Mr. Snow started his career as a law clerk for the Honorable George H. King, former Chief Judge of the Central District of California. Mr. Snow graduated Order of the Coif from USC Law School, where he was an Executive Senior Editor on the Law Review and a Legal Writing Fellow.
Entertainment & Intellectual Property Litigation
- Lead trial counsel for The Offspring in breach of contract/accounting lawsuit by a former member. After a five-day bench trial, the court entered judgment in the band’s favor on all claims.
- Defeated copyright infringement action against Cypress Hill on summary judgment, based on deposition of one of the plaintiffs taken by Mr. Snow.
- Represented DJ Paul and Juicy J of Three 6 Mafia in copyright infringement action against another hip hop group for alleged infringement of more than 30 Three 6 Mafia songs. Case resulted in confidential settlement after mediation.
- Defended WALK THE MOON in departing member dispute. Case resulted in confidential settlement after mediation.
- Represented former managers of world-famous rock band in breach of contract dispute over commissions owed on a catalog sale. Case resulted in confidential settlement after favorable summary adjudication ruling for the managers.
- Negotiated favorable pre-litigation resolution for client in dispute over ownership of well-known music festivals.
- Representing digital artists in business dispute with former collaborator involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty and defamation.
- Secured favorable resolution for client in arbitration over joint venture involving a Jackson Pollock painting.
- Provided pre-publication review of autobiography to advise on minimizing risks of defamation, right of publicity, and copyright and trademark claims.
- Defended lifestyle magazine in copyright infringement action by a photo agency. Case resulted in confidential settlement after mediation.
- Wrote successful demurrer to secure dismissal of Drug Dealer Liability Act claim against club promoter.
Real Estate & Other Business Litigation
- Second chaired two-week bench trial of real estate dispute with managing partner Howard King, resulting in a more than $13 million judgment for the firm’s client, half for punitive damages.
- Prevailed as lead trial counsel for real estate agency in arbitration against another agency over commissions owed.
- Representing group of private investors asserting fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims stemming from the management buyout of a Silicon Valley tech startup.
- Secured dismissal of real estate firm from premises liability lawsuit.
- Represented real estate purchasers in escrow dispute that settled after mediation.
- Defended Fortune 500 companies in securities and consumer class actions.
- Represented clients in government investigations.
- University of Southern California Law School, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 2011
- Honors: Order of the Coif, American Jurisprudence Award (Criminal Procedure)
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California
- B.A. - 2007
- Honors: Academic Excellence Award; Honors Program
- Major: English & Global Studies (double major)
- California, 2011
Current Employment Position