Jacqueline Sabec is a partner in the firm's Entertainment Department and runs our San Francisco office. She is sought after for the experience, skill and magic she brings to her client relationships and for building partnerships across the entertainment business. Since 2002, she has advised legacy artists and their estates on catalog rights, copyright reversions, renegotiations, acquisitions, and all aspects of global brand licensing. She helps artists achieve their goals by assertively representing their interests and supporting their creative vision. She is knowledgeable about the latest trends and technologies that touch music and leverages these opportunities in her practice.
Her clients include musicians and all of their related entities, producers, record labels, celebrities, influencers, filmmakers, creative entrepreneurs, and entertainment executives. Her work includes general counsel and business affairs operations for the Jerry Garcia Estate LLC, Grateful Dead Productions, and Dr. Greenthumb, Inc. Ms. Sabec uses her knowledge of non-profit law to help artists further their missions; she represents Metallica's All Within My Hands Foundation and worked with Burning Man's legal architect on its transition to non-profit status.
The KHPS music team is famous for its humor, belying the belief that lawyers are boring. Ms. Sabec sees no conflict between the seriousness of law and having fun. She learned the art of the hustle playing pool with her Dad, poker with her Grandmother, and blocking on the basketball court (sometimes in heels). She has proven it is possible to work full time, raise children, and work from a different city, all simultaneously, while still maintaining a reputation as a hardworking, smart, reliable partner. Ms. Sabec loves traveling to explore or surf with her family, follows a vegetarian diet, and practices yoga and Transcendental Meditation.
Prior to joining King, Holmes, Paterno & Soriano, Ms. Sabec studied as a classically trained musician. She learned the entertainment business during law school working with Bill Graham Management and reporting to the President of Bill Graham Presents on its 1998 acquisition by SFX Broadcasting, Inc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Speaking Engagements and Mentions
- University of Southern California, USC Society of Women in Law, Entertainment Law panel. March, 2022
- Variety article “Alanis Morissette-Inspired Sitcom in the Works at ABC”, November, 2021
- Billboard Magazine, “Billie Eilish, Dave Mathews, Wilco, NITO, Wasserman and more join for #CodeRedClimate Day of Action”, September, 2021
- Billboard Magazine’s “Can Touring Artists Require Road Crews to get Vaccinated”, June 2021
- Billboard Magazine’s “Top Music Lawyers”, April, 2021
- Music Business Worldwide, Interview with hitmaker Jason “Poo Bear” Boyd. July, 2020
- The Jacqueline Sabec Interview, The Jake Feinberg Show, 2020
- Speaker, FestForums, “Cannabis: Is Your Festival Ready?” May, 2019
- Speaker, Fest Forums, “Scaling Immersive Experiences” 2018
- Speaker, SF Music Tech Summit, “The Future of Record Labels” November, 2017
- Speaker, Maui Music Tech Conference, “Creative Partnerships Workshop” 2016
- Speaker, The University of Hawaii, Weinstein Ethics Lecture Series, “Legal Ethics” July, 2016
- Forbes Magazine, “Takaways from the 2016 SF MusicTech Summit” October, 2016
- Hollywood Reporter, “Amazon Developing The Grateful Dead Limited Bio Series” December, 2015
- Executive Producer, Grateful Dead documentary, “Circles Around the Sun” 2015
- Producer, The Best of Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of the Grateful Dead, 2015
- Speaker, The University of Hawaii, Weinstein Ethics Lecture Series: “Ethics in Entertainment” July, 2015
- Speaker, SXSW, “Musician Business: Lessons from the Grateful Dead”
- Speaker, SF Music Tech “Hot Topics in Music Tech Law” March, 2014
- Speaker, SF Music Tech, “Lawyer as Rainmaker” March, 2013
- California, 1999
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1999
- Ithaca College, Ithaca, New York
- B.A. - 1995
Current Employment Position