- Of Counsel
Henry Gradstein is of counsel in the firm's litigation department.
Mr. Gradstein has over 35 years of experience litigating and trying a wide variety of entertainment, intellectual property and complex business cases, including a top-ten jury verdict in California and numerous other multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. He is a 1979 graduate of USC Law School, where he served on the Law Review.
Mr. Gradstein has been named by The Hollywood Reporter as one of its Top 100 Power Lawyers, by Billboard Magazine as one of Music's Most Powerful Attorneys, by The Daily Journal as one of California's Top Entertainment Lawyers and a Leading Intellectual Property Attorney, and he received the California Attorney of the Year award in 2017 from California Lawyer Magazine.
- Lead attorney in class action on behalf of songwriters and publishers for copyright infringement against Spotify U.S.A., Inc.; settlement having an estimated value of over $100 million is currently pending approval.
- Lead attorney in class action on behalf of artists and independent labels owning pre-1972 sound recordings representing Flo & Eddie/The Turtles against Pandora, currently on appeal to the California Supreme Court.
- Lead attorney in class action on behalf of artists and independent labels owning pre-1972 sound recordings representing Flo & Eddie/The Turtles against Sirius XM, resulting in settlement of $25 million, plus bonus on successful appeal and future royalties.
- Co-counsel in class action on behalf of songwriters and publishers against ABC in copyright infringement action based on ABC's failure to obtain synchronization licenses to re-air soap operas, resulting in $65 million settlement.
- Won California's fifth highest jury verdict of the year -- $47 million including punitive damages for fraud -- against PBS on behalf of former Monkee, Michael Nesmith, in connection with a video distribution deal.
- Won a $10.3 million jury verdict, including punitive damages for fraud, against Los Angeles radio personality, Rick Dees, on behalf of his partner in The Weekly Top 40 radio show.
- Won a multi-million dollar jury verdict, including punitive damages for fraud, against music business management firm Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman, on behalf of pop star Lol Creme.
- Was co-counsel in Quincy Jones' trial against the Michael Jackson Estate, resulting in a $9.5 million jury verdict.
- Won a unanimous jury verdict against the estate of famed band leader Artie Shaw on behalf of actress Evelyn Keyes, winning the assets of the estate.
- Successfully defended movie producer Yoram Globus in the highly publicized MGM-Pathe case resulting in $18 million payout to Globus.
- Won an injunction trial for copyright infringement against AOL, enjoining the manufacture and distribution of AOL's client software.
- Won an injunction for copyright infringement against Adobe Systems, enjoining the manufacture and distribution of a suite of software.
Areas Of Practice
- Music and Copyright Litigation
- California, 1979
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1979
- University of Southern Florida
- B.A. - 1976
- Honors: cum laude
Honors and Awards
- Named as one of The Hollywood Reporter's "Power 100 Lawyers in Entertainment"
- Named by Billboard Magazine as one of "Music's Most Powerful Attorneys"
- Named by the Daily Journal as one of "California's Top Entertainment Lawyers" and a “Leading Intellectual Property Attorney”
- Named by California Lawyer as an “Attorney of the Year” in 2017
- Selected to the California “Super Lawyers” list every year since inception